Ron Paul Explains Pro-DADT Repeal Vote
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 28 2010 1:55 PM ET
Texas representative Ron Paul was one of five Republicans to vote for a House defense bill amendment that would begin the process of repealing "don't ask, don't tell," despite his earlier opposition to lifting the ban on allowing gay soldiers to serve openly.
"I have received several calls and visits from constituents who, in spite of the heavy investment in their training, have been forced out of the military simply because they were discovered to be homosexual," Paul told The Washington Post Friday.
"To me, this seems like an awful waste. Personal behavior that is disruptive should be subject to military discipline regardless of whether the individual is heterosexual or homosexual. But to discharge an otherwise well-trained, professional, and highly skilled member of the military for these reasons is unfortunate and makes no financial sense," Paul said.
On the Republican side of the aisle, Paul was joined by Illinois representative Judy Biggert, Louisiana representative Joseph Cao, Hawaii representative Charles Djou, and Florida representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen in voting for the amendment.
A congressional map of the votes on Rep. Patrick Murphy's DADT amendment is available here.
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 10 min 15 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 12 min 25 sec ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 39 min 10 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM