Is Mary Cheney Helping Antigay McCollum?
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 30 2010 2:25 PM ET
Florida attorney general Bill McCollum, a Republican candidate for governor who has been a strong supporter of the state’s ban on adoption by gay people, may be getting some campaign assistance from lesbian mom Mary Cheney.
The Tampa Tribune reports that Cheney is on the board of the Alliance for America’s Future, a group producing TV ads attacking one of McCollum’s challengers for the GOP nomination.
McCollum's support for the adoption ban has most recently come under fire because he paid hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to George Rekers as an expert witness in support of the ban during court proceedings. Rekers has since been embroiled in a controversy sparked by his decision to hire a young man from Rentboy.com to join him on a 10-day European vacation.
As the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund points out on its blog, GayPolitics.com, any alliance between McCollum and Cheney is particularly interesting considering that Cheney and her partner, who have two children, are among the country's highest-profile lesbian parents.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor