Mike Rogers's New Target: Illinois Rep. Mark Kirk
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 01 2010 4:50 PM ET
Following last week's historic House vote to begin the process of repealing "don't ask, don't tell," gay activist Mike Rogers has a new target on Capitol Hill.
Citing multiple sources in a Tuesday Blog Active post, Rogers, long known for outing closeted politicians with antigay voting records, alleged that Rep. Mark Kirk, an Illinois Republican who voted against DADT repeal, is gay.
Rogers wrote that following the DADT House vote on Thursday, several sources called him regarding Kirk's sexuality — including two unidentified men who claimed to have had sexual relations with Kirk.
Rogers also wrote that Kirk had obliquely disclosed his sexual orientation to him at a 2004 party in Washington, D.C.
"I was introduced to [Kirk] by the person I came with and at the time did not realize he was a member of the House," Rogers wrote. "As my friend walked away, Kirk asked me if the man who introduced us was 'single or attached.' When I said that he had a partner Kirk replied disappointingly, 'Oh, well.' At the end of that interaction I walked away and didn't think much of it at the time."
Rogers's previous outings have included Florida representative Mark Foley and Virginia representative Ed Schrock, who dropped his reelection bid in 2004 after Rogers posted explicit voice-mail messages from the two-term congressman made to a gay hook-up phone service.
A spokesman for Kirk has not yet responded to requests for comment on Rogers's post.
Kirk, a fifth-term congressman who is running for U.S. Senate, received an 85% rating from the Human Rights Campaign, in part for his support of hate-crimes legislation and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. Kirk lost the group's endorsement for the race to fill the seat to be vacated by Roland Burris, however, after the DADT vote last week.
Read Rogers's post here.
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 1 hour 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM
- Film Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book December 17 2013 5:43 PM
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Gay Military Couple Share 'A Story About Love' December 17 2013 4:38 PM