Report: Lifting Blood Ban Could Add 219,000 Pints Yearly
BY Julie Bolcer
June 03 2010 7:55 AM ET
A new report from the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law estimates that lifting the ban on gay male blood and organ donors could add 219,000 pints to the nation’s blood supply each year, and make more than 900 organs available for donation. The report provides the first published estimates of the impact of lifting the ban enforced by the Food and Drug Administration.
According to the report, the added 219,000 pints of blood would increase the nation’s blood supply by 1.4%, while the additional 900 organ donations would represent and increase of 2.9%.
A statement that accompanied the report said, “Both the American Red Cross and the American Association of Blood Banks have concluded that the current FDA ban on MSM blood donation is medically and scientifically unwarranted. Study co-author and Williams Distinguished Scholar Gary Gates states that, ‘Lifting restrictions on blood and organ donation by MSM would help to alleviate frequent blood shortages in the U.S. and shorten the organ donation waiting list that currently exceeds 100,000
The FDA is scheduled to hold hearing on the blood ban on next Thursday and Friday.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM