Constance McMillen to Attend WH Pride Reception
BY Julie Bolcer
June 21 2010 12:10 PM ET
Constance McMillen, the lesbian teenager at the center of a prom season controversy at her Mississippi high school, will attend an LGBT Pride Month event to be hosted by President Barack Obama at the White House Tuesday.
Much speculation has surrounded the guest list for the White House event, which was announced last week. The event reportedly includes a focus on youth guests, which McMillen would exemplify.
According to USA Today, “McMillen will attend a White House reception Tuesday for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens from around the nation in recognition of gay pride month.”
This past spring, McMillen, 18, sued after Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton canceled its prom rather than allow the senior to attend with her girlfriend. A judge agreed that her constitutional rights had been violated, but the school was not forced to hold the prom. She eventually was directed to attend a fake prom that turned out not to be the prom the majority of her classmates attended.
Now a high school graduate with college plans, McMillen will serve as a grand marshal in this weekend’s New York City gay pride parade.
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM