U.K. Doctors Deem Gay “Cure” Therapies Harmful
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2010 2:00 PM ET
Therapies that purport to “cure” gay people were denounced as harmful during the annual meeting of the British Medical Association, reports Pink News.
At the Thursday session, the majority of physicians attending agreed that the Royal College of Psychiatrists and other mental health standard-setting organizations should reject and ban the treatments.
“Sexuality is such a fundamental part of who a person is that attempts to change it just result in significant confusion, depression and even suicide,” said Tom Dolphin, vice-chair of the BMA’s junior doctors committee. “You can’t just wish away same-sex attraction no matter how inconvenient it might be.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Capitol Hill Staffers Blocked for Antitrans Wikipedia Edits
- Philly-Area Trans Teen Commits Suicide on Train Tracks