Rep. Aaron Schock, Gay Icon?
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 08 2010 5:10 PM ET
He opposes gay marriage and “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal, but Rep. Aaron Schock has great abs and wears pink shirts. Is that enough for the 29-year-old Republican congressman from Illinois to warrant gay icon status?
In a new editorial about the congressman’s abs — they came to national attention when a photo of him poolside wearing swim trunks hit the Web — The New York Times mentions his name in the same sentence as Liza Minnelli and Lady Gaga, calling him a gay icon for the Washington set.
“If they’re in my district, I’ll take votes wherever I can get them,” he said. “Who knew I could get this much attention with my shirt on?”
Schock also said that while he has conservative values shaped by his Christian upbringing, social issues are “not what compelled me to run for office.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM