Antigay Star: I'm Sorry
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 27 2010 5:40 PM ET
Real World New Orleans star Ryan Leslie says he’s sorry for offending the gay community with an antigay message he posted on Twitter over the weekend.
Leslie was responding to a Twitter follower who called him homophobic for various antigay comments he’d made on the show. Leslie responded by tweeting: “I would love to see you in person, and smash your gay f*cking face in.”
Now, after being bombarded with messages from viewers and demands from GLAAD that he apologize, Leslie has tweeted: “Want to apologize to the gay community–tweet not meant to offend. I take responsibility for what I said on Friday and I am sorry.”
Mtv, which airs The Real World New Orleans, last week received an “excellent” rating on The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation’s Network Responsibility Index for LGBT representation in media — a first for a cable network. GLAAD has been in contact for Mtv to discuss the dangers of Leslie’s antigay rhetoric.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM