Antigay Star: I'm Sorry
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 27 2010 5:40 PM ET
Real World New Orleans star Ryan Leslie says he’s sorry for offending the gay community with an antigay message he posted on Twitter over the weekend.
Leslie was responding to a Twitter follower who called him homophobic for various antigay comments he’d made on the show. Leslie responded by tweeting: “I would love to see you in person, and smash your gay f*cking face in.”
Now, after being bombarded with messages from viewers and demands from GLAAD that he apologize, Leslie has tweeted: “Want to apologize to the gay community–tweet not meant to offend. I take responsibility for what I said on Friday and I am sorry.”
Mtv, which airs The Real World New Orleans, last week received an “excellent” rating on The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation’s Network Responsibility Index for LGBT representation in media — a first for a cable network. GLAAD has been in contact for Mtv to discuss the dangers of Leslie’s antigay rhetoric.
- What Happened Inside the Supreme Court Today
- Member of Famed Conservative Family Comes Out, Endorses Marriage Equality
- LISTEN: Oral Arguments of Obergefell v. Hodges
- High School Jocks Attend W. Virginia Prom Together
- 17 Celebs Who Are Rooting – And Tweeting – for Marriage Equality
- Antigay Heckler Dragged Out of Supreme Court