Antigay Star: I'm Sorry
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 27 2010 5:40 PM ET
Real World New Orleans star Ryan Leslie says he’s sorry for offending the gay community with an antigay message he posted on Twitter over the weekend.
Leslie was responding to a Twitter follower who called him homophobic for various antigay comments he’d made on the show. Leslie responded by tweeting: “I would love to see you in person, and smash your gay f*cking face in.”
Now, after being bombarded with messages from viewers and demands from GLAAD that he apologize, Leslie has tweeted: “Want to apologize to the gay community–tweet not meant to offend. I take responsibility for what I said on Friday and I am sorry.”
Mtv, which airs The Real World New Orleans, last week received an “excellent” rating on The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation’s Network Responsibility Index for LGBT representation in media — a first for a cable network. GLAAD has been in contact for Mtv to discuss the dangers of Leslie’s antigay rhetoric.
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room