CBS is Adding Gay Characters
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 28 2010 3:35 PM ET
CBS President Nina Tassler told a packed crowd at Wednesday’s Television Critics Association press tour that she is “not happy” with their poor showing on GLAAD’s Network Responsibility Index and they they’re actively adding gay characters to their slate of existing shows.
“We’re not happy with ourselves,” she said. “We're adding a few characters this season because we're very disappointed in our track record so far.”
Specifically, Tassler said to look out for a gay character on the hit series The Good Wife — Alicia Florick (Julianna Margulies) has a gay brother. Tassler also promised a gay character on the sitcom Rules of Engagement and a recurring character on the new show S*** My Dad Says.
"It is encouraging that CBS shares our disappointment in the network's lack of gay and transgender representation and we are hopeful that the new characters will help build awareness and understanding of our community among viewers," GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios said. "After two years of receiving a 'failing' grade and a commitment last year to be more inclusive, we hope that CBS President Nina Tassler makes true on this promise to bring the network more in line with the industry standard.'"
A new daytime talk show set to replace the long-running soap As the World Turns will be hosted by Sara Gilbert, who is a lesbian.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 6 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM