Target CEO: Sorry for $150K Donation
BY Michelle Garcia
August 05 2010 3:20 PM ET
Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel (pictured) has sent a letter of apology to Target employees for the company's $150,000 contribution to a conservative political action committee that backs antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer.
"The intent of our political contribution to MN Forward was to support economic growth and job creation," he wrote in a letter acquired by Minnesota Public Radio. "While I firmly believe that a business climate conducive to growth is critical to our future, I realize our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry."
Minnesota Forward supports Republican gubernatorial candidate Emmer, who openly opposes marriage equality. He is also friends with musician Bradlee Dean, who has said Muslim countries that execute gay people are "more moral than even the American Christians."
Steinhafel added that the company will begin a "strategic review and analysis" of financial contributions for public policy issues. The company will also take a "leadership role in bringing together a group of companies and partner organizations for a dialogue focused on diversity and inclusion in the workplace, including GLBT issues."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 1 hour 8 min ago
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM