Antigay Baseball Manager Booted
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 08 2010 4:55 AM ET
Baseball manager Brent Bowers was ejected from a game and subsequently resigned when he objected to an umpire’s call by shouting antigay slurs.
A former Major League Baseball player, Edmonton Capitals manager Bowers objected to a call by gay umpire Billy Van Raaphorst by calling him a “faggot.”
He was ejected from the game and suspended for the rest of the season. Bowers subsequently resigned.
In a report of the altercation, Bowers allegedly said: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a fucking faggot. I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."
Team president Patrick LaForge said Bowers’s comments went “beyond what’s acceptable.” He says Bowers resigned before the Golden Baseball League had a chance to fire him.
Read the rest of the story here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM