Antigay Baseball Manager Booted
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 08 2010 5:55 AM ET
Baseball manager Brent Bowers was ejected from a game and subsequently resigned when he objected to an umpire’s call by shouting antigay slurs.
A former Major League Baseball player, Edmonton Capitals manager Bowers objected to a call by gay umpire Billy Van Raaphorst by calling him a “faggot.”
He was ejected from the game and suspended for the rest of the season. Bowers subsequently resigned.
In a report of the altercation, Bowers allegedly said: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a fucking faggot. I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."
Team president Patrick LaForge said Bowers’s comments went “beyond what’s acceptable.” He says Bowers resigned before the Golden Baseball League had a chance to fire him.
Read the rest of the story here.
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?