Antigay Baseball Manager Booted
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 08 2010 5:55 AM ET
Baseball manager Brent Bowers was ejected from a game and subsequently resigned when he objected to an umpire’s call by shouting antigay slurs.
A former Major League Baseball player, Edmonton Capitals manager Bowers objected to a call by gay umpire Billy Van Raaphorst by calling him a “faggot.”
He was ejected from the game and suspended for the rest of the season. Bowers subsequently resigned.
In a report of the altercation, Bowers allegedly said: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a fucking faggot. I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."
Team president Patrick LaForge said Bowers’s comments went “beyond what’s acceptable.” He says Bowers resigned before the Golden Baseball League had a chance to fire him.
Read the rest of the story here.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News