Antigay Baseball Manager Booted
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 08 2010 5:55 AM ET
Baseball manager Brent Bowers was ejected from a game and subsequently resigned when he objected to an umpire’s call by shouting antigay slurs.
A former Major League Baseball player, Edmonton Capitals manager Bowers objected to a call by gay umpire Billy Van Raaphorst by calling him a “faggot.”
He was ejected from the game and suspended for the rest of the season. Bowers subsequently resigned.
In a report of the altercation, Bowers allegedly said: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a fucking faggot. I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."
Team president Patrick LaForge said Bowers’s comments went “beyond what’s acceptable.” He says Bowers resigned before the Golden Baseball League had a chance to fire him.
Read the rest of the story here.
- See Where the Nation Stands On Marriage Equality — In One Graphic
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Advocate's News Editor on Bruce Jenner, Her Own Transition
- Dozens of Israeli Gay Couples Seeking Surrogacy in Nepal Are Evacuated Home