Gay Bar Proposed Next to Ground Zero Mosque
BY Julie Bolcer
August 10 2010 8:30 AM ET
In what could be a serious proposal or a thought exercise, libertarian commentator Greg Gutfeld wants to see if the tolerance expressed by proponents of the Ground Zero mosque extends to welcoming a bar that caters to Islamic gay men next door.
Gutfeld, who supports the controversial project that would include a mosque and cultural center near the site of the 9/11 attacks, said Monday that he had pitched investors his idea for the gay bar, which would serve nonalcoholic drinks to accommodate the Muslim faith. He said he wants to reduce homophobia in the Muslim world while making sure that the mosque builders are not hypocritical.
“Bottom line: I hope that the mosque owners will be as open to the bar, as I am to the new mosque,” writes Gutfeld at The Daily Gut. “After all, the belief driving them to open up their center near Ground Zero, is no different than mine.”
Gutfeld, the host of Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld on Fox News, was rated as an antigay voice in 2008 by GLAAD for his comments about the pregnancy of trans man Thomas Beattie.
- What Happened Inside the Supreme Court Today
- Member of Famed Conservative Family Comes Out, Endorses Marriage Equality
- LISTEN: Oral Arguments of Obergefell v. Hodges
- High School Jocks Attend W. Virginia Prom Together
- 17 Celebs Who Are Rooting – And Tweeting – for Marriage Equality
- Antigay Heckler Dragged Out of Supreme Court