Koering: My Political Career Is Over
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 11 2010 10:10 PM ET
After losing his state senate seat in the GOP primary Tuesday, Minnesota's Paul Koering says he’s leaving the Republican Party and his political career is over.
"The party that I’ve called home for 14 years has kind of, in essence, went off the cliff,” Koering said. “I always tried to stay with the party to hopefully be a voice of reason within the party. But I found through this campaign that that doesn’t work anymore.”
The Republican Party helped elect former state representative Paul Gazelka. Gazelka defeated Koering with 56.8% to 43.2% of the vote.
The race between Koering and Gazelka was notable for its focus on Koering’s personal life. In June, Koering made headlines for going on a dinner date with 20-year-old gay porn actor Brandon Wilde (left).
Minnesota Republican Party chair Tony Sutton released a statement slamming Koering following the dinner date.
"Instead of focusing his efforts on job creation and the betterment of Senate District 12, Paul Koering has demonstrated incredibly poor judgment by spending time with an escort and pornographic film star," Sutton said. "With his campaign message of lower taxes, sensible government and economic development, Paul Gazelka is the right leader for Senate District 12, and the Republican Party of Minnesota stands united behind his candidacy."
On Wednesday, Koering threw his support behind Democratic-Farmer-Labor candidate Taylor Stevenson.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM