Will Marriages Resume Today?
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 11 2010 8:30 PM ET
U.S. district judge Vaughn R. Walker will issue a ruling this morning on whether to stay a decision in the Proposition 8 federal case pending appeal, according to a late Wednesday e-mail from the court. The ruling will be issued between 9 a.m. and noon Pacific time.
If Walker rules against the stay, the state of California could presumably allow same-sex couples to wed once again. Such unions have been illegal since voters in the state passed Prop. 8 in November 2008.
Last week Walker ruled Prop. 8 unconstitutional but issued a temporary stay of the decision pending arguments from attorneys on both sides.
The legal team defending the ballot measure has already filed an appeal with the U.S. court of appeals for the ninth circuit. On Tuesday the Imperial County board of supervisors also filed an appeal, though it is not clear whether county officials have standing to do so.
The court's announcement:
The court will enter its order on the motion to stay judgment pending appeal (docket number 705) in Perry v Schwarzenegger, C09-2292, between 9 am and noon on Thursday, August 12 PDT.
The order will be posted on the court's web page devoted to the Perry case, will be available through PACER and will be available in hard copy at the San Francisco courthouse in the hallway outside the ADR courtroom (16th Floor) and in the Press Room on the 18th Floor.
Media & Public Outreach Liaison
United States District Court
Northern District of California
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 2 hours 35 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM