Will Marriages Resume Today?
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 11 2010 9:30 PM ET
U.S. district judge Vaughn R. Walker will issue a ruling this morning on whether to stay a decision in the Proposition 8 federal case pending appeal, according to a late Wednesday e-mail from the court. The ruling will be issued between 9 a.m. and noon Pacific time.
If Walker rules against the stay, the state of California could presumably allow same-sex couples to wed once again. Such unions have been illegal since voters in the state passed Prop. 8 in November 2008.
Last week Walker ruled Prop. 8 unconstitutional but issued a temporary stay of the decision pending arguments from attorneys on both sides.
The legal team defending the ballot measure has already filed an appeal with the U.S. court of appeals for the ninth circuit. On Tuesday the Imperial County board of supervisors also filed an appeal, though it is not clear whether county officials have standing to do so.
The court's announcement:
The court will enter its order on the motion to stay judgment pending appeal (docket number 705) in Perry v Schwarzenegger, C09-2292, between 9 am and noon on Thursday, August 12 PDT.
The order will be posted on the court's web page devoted to the Perry case, will be available through PACER and will be available in hard copy at the San Francisco courthouse in the hallway outside the ADR courtroom (16th Floor) and in the Press Room on the 18th Floor.
Media & Public Outreach Liaison
United States District Court
Northern District of California
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 34 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM