Brown: Allow Marriages to Resume
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 11:00 PM ET
California attorney general Jerry Brown has filed papers with the 9th U.S. Circuit of Appeals saying same-sex marriages in the state should begin again as quickly as possible, the Associated Press reports.
Brown’s request comes in papers regarding Proposition 8 that he filed with the court Friday evening. Chief U.S. district judge Vaughn Walker overturned the antigay proposition, which bans same-sex marriages in California, on August 4, but his ruling was immediately appealed to the 9th circuit.
Walker announced Thursday that he was giving the circuit court until August 18 to decide if the ban should remain in place as it weighs the appeal. If the 9th circuit decides against placing a stay on Walker’s ruling, same-sex couples will again be able to marry in the state beginning at 5 p.m., August 18.
Brown, the Democratic nominee for governor, was named as a defendant in the federal case against Prop. 8, but he has refused to defend the proposition. In the brief filed Friday night, he said there is no reason for the circuit court to continue the state’s ban on marriage equality.
“While there is still the potential for limited administrative burdens should future marriages of same-sex couples be later declared invalid, these potential burdens are outweighed by the district court’s conclusion, based on the overwhelming evidence, that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional,” he wrote.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM