D.C. Gay Bar Closes Abruptly
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 17 2010 3:30 PM ET
A week after the departure of its general manager, another popular gay bar, the Washington, D.C.–based EFN Lounge, has fallen victim to the economy.
According to the Washington Blade, EFN Lounge and Motley Bar closed abruptly Monday night. Despite the two-bars-under-one-roof concept, former manager Bill Gray told the Blade, sales weren’t strong enough to keep the business afloat.
“We had Bear Happy Hour every Friday and that was amazing for revenue, but we realized that being open every day, we just couldn’t pull in the revenue we needed to sustain the building,” Gray said. “We tried multiple events. Some things worked, some didn’t. ... We had utilities turned off and turned back on. It was just a real struggle financially.”
Employees were notified of the decision to close Monday night at 8:30. Bartenders and other staff members were reportedly angry that the announcement was made with no notice.
“Company standard there was always two weeks notice if we wanted to leave,” bartender Matt Bamford said. “What they did to not just the staff but to the community at large is just unconscionable.”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 2 hours 37 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM