Iowa GOP Denounces Antigay Remarks
BY Marchae Grair
August 18 2010 3:00 PM ET
The Iowa Republican Party has spoken out against antigay comments made
by Iowa house candidate Jeremy Walters on his Facebook page, prompting the
politician to apologize.
Walters (pictured) wrote many disparaging comments about gay people on his Facebook profile, including his belief that God punishes gay people with the AIDS epidemic.
"They also need to know that when it says that their blood shall be upon them that tells me it is AIDS," Walters wrote, according to The Des Moines Register. "That’s how I feel."
The Republican Party criticized Walters’s comments after pressure from One Iowa, a civil rights group.
Matt Strawn, chair of the Republican Party of Iowa, quickly separated the party’s views from Walter’s comments.
“Mr. Walters' comments are inappropriate and in no way represent the beliefs of the Republican Party of Iowa,” Strawn told the Register.
The following day Walters issued an apology of his own.
“I am not against people having a gay lifestyle, and the statements made on Facebook have been taken the wrong way. The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive and I deeply apologize,” he wrote in an e-mail to the Iowa Independent.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM