Cheney Backs Antigay Candidate
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 18 2010 9:50 AM ET
Election records indicate that Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of the former vice president, gave $500 to a Republican Senate candidate from New Hampshire who opposes marriage equality.
According to The Raw Story, “Cheney gave $500 on April 1 to Kelly Ayotte, a Republican 2010 Senate candidate from New Hampshire, according to the election records database Newsmeat. Ayotte is seeking to fill the seat of retiring GOP Sen. Judd Gregg.”
Multiple New Hampshire news outlets have confirmed that Ayotte is opposed to marriage equality, a right that Cheney has said she supports. However, as The Raw Story reports, the contribution to Ayotte follows other support in the past year from Cheney to candidates and groups who oppose marriage equality and adoption by same-sex couples.
The 41-year-old Cheney lives in Virginia with her partner Heather Poe and their two children.
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People