Cheney Backs Antigay Candidate
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 18 2010 9:50 AM ET
Election records indicate that Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of the former vice president, gave $500 to a Republican Senate candidate from New Hampshire who opposes marriage equality.
According to The Raw Story, “Cheney gave $500 on April 1 to Kelly Ayotte, a Republican 2010 Senate candidate from New Hampshire, according to the election records database Newsmeat. Ayotte is seeking to fill the seat of retiring GOP Sen. Judd Gregg.”
Multiple New Hampshire news outlets have confirmed that Ayotte is opposed to marriage equality, a right that Cheney has said she supports. However, as The Raw Story reports, the contribution to Ayotte follows other support in the past year from Cheney to candidates and groups who oppose marriage equality and adoption by same-sex couples.
The 41-year-old Cheney lives in Virginia with her partner Heather Poe and their two children.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 10 min 11 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 12 min 46 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 15 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 18 min 22 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 14 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 29 min ago