Hasselbeck Marriage Support Old News
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2010 5:30 PM ET
Newswriters touting View cohost Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s sudden support of marriage equality should take a look back at a three-month-old episode of The View.
In the episode, which first aired in May, the women were discussing former first lady Laura Bush’s announcement that she supports marriage equality and is pro-choice. Hasselbeck responded by saying her own views on gay rights had evolved over the years, and if yours haven’t, you should have a long discussion with someone who is gay.
“I think there are a lot of, maybe, conservatives out there who are talking about gay marriage and not necessarily with someone who wants to have gay marriage or has been in a gay marriage,” Hasselbeck said. “You know, I had Melissa Etheridge over, we had dinner, we talked for hours about gay marriage, and I would really challenge people: Get out there. Instead of just talking about it and hating on it, actually talk to someone who’s loved someone else and have the conversation about what can be done.”
Earlier this week Hasselbeck talked about her support of marriage equality with Fancast.com.
“I am not ultra-ultra-conservative on every issue. I actually support gay marriage,” she said. “I think the gay marriage thing would definitely surprise people. I mean, for some people, it will surprise them to the point that they won’t want to hear it.”
Hasselbeck also said she struggles on the subject of abortion.
“I am a person that does believe that life begins at conception, but I also don’t believe that the government should tell women what to do with their bodies. So I’m torn there in terms of supporting laws [for or against abortion]. I always say I would rather change a heart than a law. I think it has to start there. Always trying to mandate, mandate, mandate this or that is not the way that I believe this country should run.”
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 2 hours 49 min ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM