Obama Yielded to Gates on DADT Repeal
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2010 8:30 AM ET
An in-depth look at the rocky relationship between President Barack Obama and the military shows that he, lacking experience in uniform and saddled by two foreign wars and domestic priorities, deferred to Defense Secretary Robert Gates in setting a “slow pace” to repeal the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
The New York Times examined what it called the “steep learning curve” faced by Obama in his first term as commander in chief. During the bumpy times, the president has yielded to Gates, an experienced holdover from the Bush administration.
“Mr. Obama has relied on Mr. Gates as his ambassador to the military and deferred to him repeatedly,” reported the Times. “When Mr. Gates wanted to force out Gen. David D. McKiernan in May 2009 as commander in Afghanistan in favor of Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, Mr. Obama signed off. Likewise, cognizant of Bill Clinton’s ill-fated effort to end the ban on gay and lesbian soldiers, Mr. Obama let Mr. Gates set a slow pace in overturning the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy, even though it has disappointed gay rights advocates.”
Read the full article here.
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM