GLAAD President on His Divorce
BY Michelle Garcia
September 02 2010 6:45 PM ET
Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation president Jarrett Barrios says that while the main focus on gay rights may be marriage, it also includes the right to divorce.
Barrios, who was once a Massachusetts state legislator, said he lobbied hard to get the state to recognize marriage equality. When it did, he and his partner of 11 years went to the altar in 2004. However, Barrios and his husband separated last year, and he has been enduring a tough divorce.
"Just as gay and lesbian couples share the joys of marriage, we will share the pain of divorce, something for which we have no template," he wrote in theBoston GlobeThursday. "Divorce plumbs impossible depths of sadness. It involves separating the dishes and the books and all the other things you acquired back when you both still felt the lightness of love, asserting to a judge at a public trial that, yes, your marriage has broken down irretrievably, and telling your parents whose marriage of 47 years hangs heavy over your anemic explanations to them."
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 10 min 6 sec ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 59 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 34 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM