Engle Rallies Against Gay Marriage in Calif.
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 04 2010 8:15 PM ET
Pastor Lou Engle's controversial ministry drew thousands of attendees
on Saturday to protest gay marriage, abortion, and pornography on the
steps of the California state capitol in Sacramento.
Engle's "TheCall to Conscience" included a 12-hour fast, the Associated Press reports. The rally was in part a protest of the recent court ruling striking down Proposition 8 as unconstitutional (the case is currently on appeal).
"If marriage is going to be upheld between a man and a woman, which we believe is the best for families and children and society, then right now, it seems we need divine intervention," Engle said in an interview with the AP. "That's part of the reason we're coming here, to pray, but also to take a stand and be a prophetic voice to stand for truth."
A recent Uganda rally starring Engle was featured in the September cover story for The Advocate.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 15 min 43 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 49 min 54 sec ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 49 min 54 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 50 min 4 sec ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM