Jag Drops Aussie Swimmer for Slur
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 06 2010 11:30 AM ET
Australian competitive swimmer Stephanie Rice has been dumped as the face of luxury car brand Jaguar after she called the South African rugby team “f*ggots” on her Twitter account, Australia’s Herald Sun reports.
“We wish Stephanie success for the future,” said Kevin Goult, general manager of Jaguar Australia, when confirming that the company had discontinued its relationship with Rice.
Rice, who tweeted “Suck on that f*ggots” after watching Australia’s Wallabies beat South Africa on Saturday, later apologized for the comment and said she understood why Jaguar made the decision it did. “I did not mean to cause offense and I apologize,” she said Sunday.
Gay Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham took to his Facebook page Monday morning to defend Rice, writing, “I know a lot of ppl are upset by what Steph Rice said. I agree, it was offensive & very thoughtless, but being friends with her for 2yrs, I know she is not homophobic. She meant no malice, & she has apologized for her careless comment posted in the excitement of the moment. That’s enough for me to forgive a friend."
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 1 hour 10 min ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM