Hall of Famer Apologizes for "Brokeback" Comment
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 12 2010 11:00 AM ET
Dan Hampton, the Hall of Fame defensive back who, during a broadcast of Pro Football Weekly, said that the Dallas Cowboys were more ‘Brokeback” than they were “Eastwood,” apologized for his comments Saturday.
Last week Hampton said, “The Cowboys think they are Clint Eastwood; they’re more of the Brokeback variety, if you know what I’m talking about.”
Then, when previewing a game between the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints, he added, “The Vikings need to go down there and hit that town like Katrina.”
On Saturday, in apologizing for the remarks, Hampton said, “I made a couple of comments about Katrina and the gay community that not only embarrassed myself but the fine people here at Pro Football Weekly. I’m an idiot, and I truly am sorry if those comments bothered or offended any of our great and wonderful viewers, and again, I’m truly sorry about that.”
What Hampton’s apology below.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM