Hall of Famer Apologizes for "Brokeback" Comment
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 12 2010 11:00 AM ET
Dan Hampton, the Hall of Fame defensive back who, during a broadcast of Pro Football Weekly, said that the Dallas Cowboys were more ‘Brokeback” than they were “Eastwood,” apologized for his comments Saturday.
Last week Hampton said, “The Cowboys think they are Clint Eastwood; they’re more of the Brokeback variety, if you know what I’m talking about.”
Then, when previewing a game between the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints, he added, “The Vikings need to go down there and hit that town like Katrina.”
On Saturday, in apologizing for the remarks, Hampton said, “I made a couple of comments about Katrina and the gay community that not only embarrassed myself but the fine people here at Pro Football Weekly. I’m an idiot, and I truly am sorry if those comments bothered or offended any of our great and wonderful viewers, and again, I’m truly sorry about that.”
What Hampton’s apology below.
- Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful 0 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 20 min 7 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 34 min 30 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 52 min 27 sec ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 1 hour 5 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 2 hours 32 min ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 2 hours 39 min ago