Waters: Ban Hetero Divorce
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2010 5:35 PM ET
Speaking Sunday at the North Louisiana Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, famed director John Waters offered up a suggestion: Ban heterosexual divorce.
Waters, who was honored by the festival and had his 1981 film Polyester screened, was asked how gays should push for equality. His response, whether lighthearted or not, was to push for an end to legalized divorce. There actually is an effort in California to ban divorce.
Waters made the same suggestion two months ago while filming his "I Advocate" segment for The Advocate On-Air. Watch it here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 6 min 46 sec ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 42 min 52 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 10 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM