Russian Gay Activist Detained by Police
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 16 2010 9:05 AM ET
Nikolai Alekseev, the leading gay activist in Russia, was detained Wednesday by Russian authorities, who are demanding that he abandon a picket against Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov and drop lawsuits over the banning of Moscow Gay Pride.
According to UK Gay News, which translated a news article from GayRussia.ru Thursday morning, Alekseev said, “They demanded of me to give up on the picket Luzhkov and withdraw a complaint by the gay pride of European court.”
Alekseev, who organizes Moscow Gay Pride, and other activists had been planning to demand the resignation of Mayor Luzhkov, who has called the gay pride parade “satanic.” The activist also has filed lawsuits with the European Court of Human Rights over the banning of the Moscow pride event over the past five years.
Alekseev, who was detained while trying to board a flight to Geneva, said that he was no longer being held at Domodedovo Airport, but he could not confirm his whereabouts.
“I cannot say where [I am], but not in Moscow,” he said.
Alekseev said he had been threatened if he attempted to leave for Switzerland.
Activist Nikolai Baev articulated the deep concern about Alekseev, who may be in the custody of the FSB, formerly the KGB.
“The government is clearly losing to the the gay activists in the legal fight, so they resort to violence,” said Baev, according to UK Gay News. “I do not rule out homophobic insults, abuse and even torture against him.”
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM