Russian Gay Activist Detained by Police
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 16 2010 10:05 AM ET
Nikolai Alekseev, the leading gay activist in Russia, was detained Wednesday by Russian authorities, who are demanding that he abandon a picket against Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov and drop lawsuits over the banning of Moscow Gay Pride.
According to UK Gay News, which translated a news article from GayRussia.ru Thursday morning, Alekseev said, “They demanded of me to give up on the picket Luzhkov and withdraw a complaint by the gay pride of European court.”
Alekseev, who organizes Moscow Gay Pride, and other activists had been planning to demand the resignation of Mayor Luzhkov, who has called the gay pride parade “satanic.” The activist also has filed lawsuits with the European Court of Human Rights over the banning of the Moscow pride event over the past five years.
Alekseev, who was detained while trying to board a flight to Geneva, said that he was no longer being held at Domodedovo Airport, but he could not confirm his whereabouts.
“I cannot say where [I am], but not in Moscow,” he said.
Alekseev said he had been threatened if he attempted to leave for Switzerland.
Activist Nikolai Baev articulated the deep concern about Alekseev, who may be in the custody of the FSB, formerly the KGB.
“The government is clearly losing to the the gay activists in the legal fight, so they resort to violence,” said Baev, according to UK Gay News. “I do not rule out homophobic insults, abuse and even torture against him.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 11 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 51 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 57 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 20 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 29 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 36 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 12:50 PM