Poll: 52% of Americans for Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 20 2010 9:55 AM ET
A new national poll from the Associated Press found that 52% of Americans support marriage equality, following a CNN poll last month that showed a similar finding.
The AP poll asked 1,007 Americans, "Should the Federal Government give legal recognition to marriages between couples of the same-sex, or not?’ 52% of those polled responded ‘Yes.’ 46% responded ‘No.’ And 2% responded ‘Don't know.’”
Evan Wolfson, director of Freedom to Marry, said in a statement, "For the second time, a national poll shows that a majority of Americans support the freedom to marry, reflecting the growing momentum of the marriage movement and a growing awareness in America of who gay people are and why marriage matters to same-sex couples and their families. Echoing the findings of last month's CNN poll, the Associated Press poll shows that those who would deny liberty and equal protection to same-sex couples are now in the minority. Even in a moment in which most people are focused on the economy and unemployment, Americans are still speaking up for our country's core values that the majority should not deny a minority its rights and that we must uphold the Constitution's enduring promise of equal protection for all. But with many hearts and minds still to be changed, we must continue to make as strong a case for the freedom to marry in the court of public opinion as in the court of law. The work on Freedom to Marry's Roadmap to Victory — winning more states, continuing to change hearts and minds, and ending federal marriage discrimination — is more urgent than ever. We must ensure that political and legal change keep pace with growing public support for the freedom to marry."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM