Antirepeal Senator Gets Log Cabin Award
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 22 2010 4:35 PM ET
One day after voting against debating the defense bill containing language that would have repealed “don’t ask, don’t tell,” Sen. John Cornyn (pictured, left) will receive the Barry Goldwater Award at Wednesday night’s national Log Cabin Republicans dinner Washington, D.C., according to the Dallas Voice.
Cornyn, a Republican from Texas, will receive the award along with a fellow antigay politician, Rep. Pete Sessions (pictured, right), also a Texas Republican, though neither politician plans to speak at the dinner. Cornyn will attend a reception beforehand, and Sessions is sending an aide to collect his award along with a videotaped message from the crowd.
Both politicians object to same-sex marriage and the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell.” On Tuesday, Cornyn told The Hill he believed Senate majority leader Harry Reid’s attempt to consider repeal as a part of the defense spending bill was a “cynical and politically transparent move.”
Though neither politician supports gay rights, Log Cabin spokeswoman Melissa Kennedy told The Dallas Morning News, “We’re 80 percent in sync. We’re for low taxes. Strong defense. All these things you associate with Republicans.”
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 40 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM