N.Y. Poll: Paladino Gaining on Cuomo
BY Julie Bolcer
September 22 2010 11:20 AM ET
A shocking new poll of the New York gubernatorial contest shows that Democratic nominee Andrew Cuomo, once perceived as invincible, leads Republican challenger and Tea Party favorite Carl Paladino by just six points.
According to Maggie Haberman at Politico.com, the first poll of likely voters from Quinnipiac University suggests that Cuomo will need to dig deeply into his $30 million war chest to start attacking the wealthy and self-funded Paladino.
“Among the most surprising numbers in the survey is that 49 percent of independents prefer Paladino, compared to 43 percent for Cuomo, an inverse of the topline number,” reports Haberman.
Cuomo, the state attorney general, has made marriage equality part of his reform-minded campaign platform. Paladino, a businessman from Buffalo, opposes marriage equality.
In what could be a sure boost for Cuomo, he is scheduled to receive the endorsement of New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, a popular independent, today.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM