N.Y. Poll: Paladino Gaining on Cuomo
BY Julie Bolcer
September 22 2010 11:20 AM ET
A shocking new poll of the New York gubernatorial contest shows that Democratic nominee Andrew Cuomo, once perceived as invincible, leads Republican challenger and Tea Party favorite Carl Paladino by just six points.
According to Maggie Haberman at Politico.com, the first poll of likely voters from Quinnipiac University suggests that Cuomo will need to dig deeply into his $30 million war chest to start attacking the wealthy and self-funded Paladino.
“Among the most surprising numbers in the survey is that 49 percent of independents prefer Paladino, compared to 43 percent for Cuomo, an inverse of the topline number,” reports Haberman.
Cuomo, the state attorney general, has made marriage equality part of his reform-minded campaign platform. Paladino, a businessman from Buffalo, opposes marriage equality.
In what could be a sure boost for Cuomo, he is scheduled to receive the endorsement of New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, a popular independent, today.
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- Fateful Typo Discovered in Ky Peterson's Sentencing