N.Y. Poll: Paladino Gaining on Cuomo
BY Julie Bolcer
September 22 2010 10:20 AM ET
A shocking new poll of the New York gubernatorial contest shows that Democratic nominee Andrew Cuomo, once perceived as invincible, leads Republican challenger and Tea Party favorite Carl Paladino by just six points.
According to Maggie Haberman at Politico.com, the first poll of likely voters from Quinnipiac University suggests that Cuomo will need to dig deeply into his $30 million war chest to start attacking the wealthy and self-funded Paladino.
“Among the most surprising numbers in the survey is that 49 percent of independents prefer Paladino, compared to 43 percent for Cuomo, an inverse of the topline number,” reports Haberman.
Cuomo, the state attorney general, has made marriage equality part of his reform-minded campaign platform. Paladino, a businessman from Buffalo, opposes marriage equality.
In what could be a sure boost for Cuomo, he is scheduled to receive the endorsement of New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, a popular independent, today.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 58 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 30 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 55 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 56 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM