Indy Bakery Won’t Make "Gay" Cupcakes
BY Julie Bolcer
September 24 2010 8:50 AM ET
An Indianapolis bakery cited family values when it refused to complete an order of
rainbow cupcakes and cookies requested by a local gay student group for
National Coming Out Day next month.
According to Fox 59, the Just Cookies bakery at the City Market refused the order from the student group at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.
“This is what they were after: a multicolored cupcake to celebrate ‘National Coming Out Day’ next month; a rainbow confection to honor the diversity on the campus of IUPUI," reported Fox 59. "But the student who had the order placed at Just Cookies was told no.”
Bakery owners David and Lilly Stockton gave conflicting reasons for the denial, but Mr. Stockton eventually admitted concern about what message the rainbow confections would send to their two “young, impressionable daughters.” He compared the idea to a cupcake with an obscenity.
The student group found another Indianapolis business, The Flying Cupcake Bakery, that would accommodate them.
Watch the report.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 1 hour 8 min ago
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 1 hour 8 min ago
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM