Actor Disowned for Gay Role
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2010 5:00 PM ET
Indian actor Yuvraaj Parasher, who starred in a film considered the country's Brokeback Mountain, has been thrown out of his home and disowned by his family for playing a gay man on-screen, reports Times of India. The film, Dunno Y ... Na Jaane Kyun, features the first male same-sex kiss not played for laughs in the history of Bollywood, one of the world's most prolific film industries but one that has never tackled story lines revolving around gay male characters.
The newspaper reports that Parasher's father is ready to go to court and officially cut off ties with his son.
"His mother is totally devastated," the elder Parasher says. "We are a respected family and I'm appalled that he is playing a gay man's role. We're finished. All the dreams and hopes we had built around him are over. For just a film role, he has lost out on his blood ties. We don't want to see his face ever ... not even when we are dying."
- Obama Cracks Marriage Equality Jokes at White House Correspondent's Dinner
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- The Backlash
- Bruce Jenner's Republican Revelation Draws Anger, Praise
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- Op-ed: Drag Race's Prison-Themed Challenge Raised Uncomfortable Questions