Kramer Epic Discusses Gay Presidents
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 28 2010 3:50 PM ET
Larry Kramer's long-awaited book The American People, a history of homosexuality in America, will delve into the gay lives of presidents Washington and Lincoln, according to The New York Times. In an interview Kramer, 75, reveals that the book, coming in at 4,000 pages, became a more ambitious project than he initially anticipated when he began writing it 30 years ago. The book will be published in two volumes with the first due in spring 2012.
"The history of homosexuality in America starts even before America did, but I didn’t know that when I started writing," Kramer says. "It became a chronological story, and I just wrote and wrote and wrote ... It became this wild adventure of learning so much about how long we’ve been here and what we’ve accomplished and all the pain that we have been through. Of course it culminates with AIDS, and in a sense it’s really a history of AIDS and where the plague came from. We’ve just discovered that the AIDS virus has been in monkeys for 32,000 years. I don’t go back that far, though."
Kramer also says the the book cover many historical figures. "It obviously deals with Abraham Lincoln being gay, which is pretty accepted by now, but it deals with a lot of other people being gay, like George Washington," he says.
Kramer is cofounder of the Gay Men’s Health Crisis and the protest group ACT UP. His landmark play The Normal Heart, about the early years of the AIDS epidemic, will have a staged reading in New York on October 18. A film adaptation is scheduled for next year, to be directed by Ryan Murphy and to star Mark Ruffalo.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 39 min 47 sec ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 1 hour 39 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 2 hours 59 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2:11 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM