Michigan Pol on Antigay Harassment: “It’s Nothing Personal”
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 29 2010 5:20 PM ET
Michigan assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell (pictured, left) continued his campaign against the gay president of the University of Michigan’s student government in an appearance on Anderson Cooper 360, calling Chris Armstrong (pictured ,right) a “radical homosexual activist,” but saying it’s “nothing personal.”
“I'm a Christian citizen exercising my First Amendment rights," Shirvell told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I have no problem with the fact that Chris is a homosexual. I have a problem with the fact that he's advancing a radical homosexual agenda."
In April, using the moniker “Concerned Michigan Alumnus,” Shirvell started the blog Chris Armstrong Watch, describing Armstrong as a “Nazi-like” recruiter for “the cult that is homosexuality.”
Shirvell told Cooper it’s “nothing personal.”
“What do you mean it’s nothing personal?” Cooper responded. “You’re outside his house, you’re shouting him down at public events ... you’re attacking his parents, his friends’ parents — you can’t say it’s not personal.”
As student government president, Armstrong has campaigned to stop tuition hikes, expand gender-neutral housing for transgender students, and mitigate underage drinking by keeping dining halls open later.
Michigan attorney general Mike Cox released the following statement to 360: “Mr. Shirvell's personal opinions are his and his alone and do not reflect the views of the Michigan Department of Attorney General. But his immaturity and lack of judgment outside the office are clear.”
Watch the interview here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad