Ellen Calls for End to Bullying, Suicide
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 30 2010 6:45 PM ET
Ellen DeGeneres calls for an end to the recent epidemic of bullying and gay teen suicide in a video released today.
"I am devastated over the death of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi," DeGeneres says. "He was outed as being gay on the Internet and he killed himself."
DeGeneres also mentions the three other deaths of gay teens that have been reported this month, saying that four lives lost is a crisis. "Something must be done," she says. "This needs to be a wake-up call to everyone that teenage bullying and teasing is an epidemic in this country, and the death rate is climbing. We have an obligation to change this."
Watch the video below.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM