Ellen Calls for End to Bullying, Suicide
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 30 2010 7:45 PM ET
Ellen DeGeneres calls for an end to the recent epidemic of bullying and gay teen suicide in a video released today.
"I am devastated over the death of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi," DeGeneres says. "He was outed as being gay on the Internet and he killed himself."
DeGeneres also mentions the three other deaths of gay teens that have been reported this month, saying that four lives lost is a crisis. "Something must be done," she says. "This needs to be a wake-up call to everyone that teenage bullying and teasing is an epidemic in this country, and the death rate is climbing. We have an obligation to change this."
Watch the video below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 1 hour 53 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 2 hours 48 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM