Meek: Crist Flip-flops on Gay Rights
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 02 2010 4:55 PM ET
Kendrick Meek, the Democratic congressman running to represent Florida in the Senate, blasted opponent Charlie Crist and accused him of being disingenuous in his support for the right of gays to adopt.
An appeals court last month upheld a lower court's decision that struck down Florida's 33-year-ban on gays adopting children; it's not clear yet whether the state will appeal the latest decision.
Crist, the current governor of Florida, recently said he supports an end to the ban and that the state would cease enforcing it. But speaking with The Palm Beach Post, Crist was challenged on his position regarding gay adoption rights, reports OnTopMag.com. The interviewer pointed out that his position on the matter had changed; he previously said children belong with a mother and a father. The governor, who officially switched from Republican to independent this year, seemed flummoxed. He then stated his feelings about gays adopting hasn't changed and that he only supports the court's decision (watch the video below).
“Charlie Crist showed his true colors today in explaining how he arrived at a new position on Florida's outrageous gay adoption ban,” Nathan Click of the Kendrick Meek for Florida campaign said in a statement. “His new stand wasn't a matter of conviction or principle as he previously claimed — it was a matter of politics. Crist even said he still believes children do best in a home with a mother and a father. Today, the governor proved he still feels the same way about equality for Florida's gays and lesbians — he still stands with conservatives firmly against it.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 48 min 6 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM