DeMint: Gays Shouldn't Teach
BY Michelle Garcia
October 04 2010 2:15 PM ET
Addressing a group of conservative voters on Friday, Sen. Jim DeMint, reiterated his belief that openly gay people and unmarried straight women who sleep with a partner shouldn't teach children.
The South Carolina senator made a 45-minute speech at the Greater Freedom Rally in his home state regarding a range of issues, including the economy, social issues like abortion, and his support for conservative candidates, the Spartan Herald-Journal reports.
DeMint said he was cast as a pariah in Washington for once saying that openly gay teachers and women who have sex outside of marriage should not teach in a classroom.
“[When I said those things,] no one came to my defense,” he said, according to the report. “But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down. They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion.”
DeMint is up for reelection against Democrat Alvin Greene.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 47 min 14 sec ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2:52 PM
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 2:52 PM
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 2:43 PM