Ill. Candidate: No Civil Unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 06 2010 3:35 PM ET
Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Brady (pictured) reiterated his opposition to civil unions for gay couples — something favored by his Democratic opponent — among other socially conservative stances in a wide-ranging interview Tuesday with the Chicago Sun-Times editorial board.
“I’ve not found a reason to support civil unions,” he said. As a state senator, Brady proposed amending the Illinois constitution to ban same-sex marriage.
The Democratic candidate, incumbent governor Pat Quinn, supports civil unions and believes the state legislature could pass a civil unions bill before the end of the year. Quinn told the Arlington Heights Daily Herald there is a “need to encourage tolerance in the state.”
Brady has taken other antigay positions. In the state senate he backed legislation that would exempt certain nonprofit organizations from complying with the Illinois Human Rights Act, which prohibits workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
In the Sun-Times interview, he also said local school districts should be allowed to teach intelligent design, emphasized his opposition to abortion rights, voiced support for letting citizens carry concealed weapons, and said he would lift the moratorium on the death penalty imposed by former governor George Ryan.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 10 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 51 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM