Gay Activists Protest Mormon Church
BY Julie Bolcer
October 08 2010 9:45 AM ET
Thousands of gay activists protested Thursday night outside the Mormon Church headquarters in Salt Lake City over recent comments from a church leader that gay people live an immoral life and can be changed.
According to the Associated Press, activists staged a silent protest in response to comments made Sunday by Boyd K. Packer, president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, at the 180th semiannual general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City.
“In his remarks Packer said some would argue that gays ‘were pre-set and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural. Not so! Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?’” the AP reported.
Packer, 86, is next in line for the church presidency, and his remarks, which included opposition to marriage equality, have drawn a national outcry, particularly for their ability to harm the self-image of young gay Mormons wrestling with their sexuality.
The AP reported that, “On Thursday night, activists dressed in black to symbolize the loss of young, gay Mormons to suicide lay head-to-toe on the sidewalks circling the church's six-block downtown campus.”
The Church issued a statement afterward that acknowledged the right of the activists to protest and voice their opinion.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 41 min 3 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 45 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 16 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 42 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 45 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM