Essence.com Spotlights Lesbian Brides
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 13 2010 2:25 PM ET
In a first, Essence.com — the online companion to black women’s magazine Essence — is featuring a lesbian couple in its Bridal Bliss section.
Aisha and Danielle Moodie-Mills are the lucky couple. Photos from their wedding and a brief history of their relationship appear on the website this month.
“For 40 years, Essence has been the leading voice for black women,” said Aisha Moodie-Mills, president of Synergy Strategy Group, a Washington, D.C.–based political consulting firm. “We are honored that Essence chose to tell our story of love and commitment as it makes this historic step forward.”
Earlier this year, Essence began working with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to increase the brand’s coverage of LGBT issues. GLAAD brought Aisha and Danielle to the attention of the editorial staff.
“Essence has a history of covering the LBGT community, and the inclusion of Aisha and Danielle’s wedding in our Bridal Bliss feature is a natural extension of that commitment,” said Essence.com managing editor Emil Wilbekin. “The Moodie-Mills are a wonderful couple with a beautiful love story, and Essence.com aims to support and celebrate black women in all their diversity.”
Visit their Bridal Bliss profile here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM