Seventh-Grader Protests Bullying
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 14 2010 12:10 PM ET
With his father at his side, seventh-grader Marco Melgoza is taking a stand against bullies by protesting outside his school.
Melgoza stood outside Desmond Middle School in Madera, Calif., on Wednesday with a sign reading “Bullying Is a Weapon.” The People magazine cover with 18-year-old Tyler Clementi on the cover was glued to the poster.
“I’ve gotten my head smashed on the cement four times. and I’ve been getting called 'gay' and every name in the book,” said Marco Melgoza.
Melgoza’s father, Jerry Watson, says he doesn’t think his son is suicidal, but “you never know,” and this is a serious issue every parent should be concerned about.
Clementi jumped off a bridge last month after his college roommate and a friend streamed video on the Internet of him having an intimate encounter with another man.
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM