Seventh-Grader Protests Bullying
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 14 2010 1:10 PM ET
With his father at his side, seventh-grader Marco Melgoza is taking a stand against bullies by protesting outside his school.
Melgoza stood outside Desmond Middle School in Madera, Calif., on Wednesday with a sign reading “Bullying Is a Weapon.” The People magazine cover with 18-year-old Tyler Clementi on the cover was glued to the poster.
“I’ve gotten my head smashed on the cement four times. and I’ve been getting called 'gay' and every name in the book,” said Marco Melgoza.
Melgoza’s father, Jerry Watson, says he doesn’t think his son is suicidal, but “you never know,” and this is a serious issue every parent should be concerned about.
Clementi jumped off a bridge last month after his college roommate and a friend streamed video on the Internet of him having an intimate encounter with another man.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?