Seventh-Grader Protests Bullying
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 14 2010 12:10 PM ET
With his father at his side, seventh-grader Marco Melgoza is taking a stand against bullies by protesting outside his school.
Melgoza stood outside Desmond Middle School in Madera, Calif., on Wednesday with a sign reading “Bullying Is a Weapon.” The People magazine cover with 18-year-old Tyler Clementi on the cover was glued to the poster.
“I’ve gotten my head smashed on the cement four times. and I’ve been getting called 'gay' and every name in the book,” said Marco Melgoza.
Melgoza’s father, Jerry Watson, says he doesn’t think his son is suicidal, but “you never know,” and this is a serious issue every parent should be concerned about.
Clementi jumped off a bridge last month after his college roommate and a friend streamed video on the Internet of him having an intimate encounter with another man.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 42 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM