Lesbians Booted From Mall for PDA
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2010 6:55 PM ET
The management of Cameron Village shopping center in Raleigh, N.C., has apologized to a lesbian couple booted from the mall Wednesday for kissing in public.
According to The News & Observer, representatives of York Properties met Saturday with Caitlin Breedlove of Durham and her girlfriend. The company apologized to the women Friday.
“Breedlove said she and her girlfriend, whom she declined to identify, were on a bench Wednesday at the shopping center when a female security officer told them they were being too affectionate,” reports The News & Observer. “Breedlove said she questioned why they were being singled out when heterosexual couples weren't being stopped for engaging in similar behavior.
“Breedlove said that after the officer told them to leave, she asked to speak to a supervisor. The male supervisor reiterated that they should go. York Properties did not release the names of the officer or supervisor.”
York Properties said it suspended and will reassign the first security officer who confronted the women, and it plans to hold sensitivity training for the rest of the security staff.
Breedlove, the codirector of a social justice organization that advocates for gay rights, welcomed the apology, but she still plans to hold a Sunday afternoon rally across the street from the shopping center. The ACLU assisted with her complaint.
Watch the report from WTVD-TV.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 11 min 1 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 42 min 32 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 48 min 12 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 49 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 3 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 23 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM