"Escort" on Trial in Gay Journo's Death
BY Michelle Garcia
October 19 2010 4:30 PM ET
Opening arguments began Monday in the trial of a man accused of killing gay New York radio journalist George Weber in his Brooklyn apartment in March 2009.
Attorneys for John Katehis (pictured), 18, are arguing that he was the victim of a 47-year-old sexual predator, while prosecutors describe the suspect as a calculating murderer, according to Gay City News. At the time of Weber's death, Katehis was 16.
According to prosecutor Anna-Sigga Nicolazzi, Katehis posted an ad on Craigslist, offering oral sex for cash. After an exchange of e-mails with Weber, Katehis went to his home, where Weber was stabbed to death. Katehis says he stabbed Weber by accident in self-defense while struggling over a knife, but in court Monday prosecutor Anna-Sigga Nicolazzi called the stabbing "a vicious, brutal, intentional act."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM