Fla. Gay Adoption Ban No More
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2010 4:45 PM ET
Florida attorney general Bill McCollum (pictured) announced Friday that he will not that he will not appeal last month’s ruling by a state appellate court striking down a state law barring gay people from adopting.
McCollum’s announcement puts a final end to the law after 33 years on the books. Gov. Charlie Crist and the Florida Department of Children and Families had already announced they would not challenge the decision.
The attorney general had until today to decide whether he would challenge the decision.
“This law, by baselessly branding gay people unfit parents, was one of the most notorious anti-gay laws in the country, and we are delighted that it has been ended once and for all,” said Leslie Cooper, a senior staff attorney with the ACLU LGBT Project, who argued the case before Florida’s third district court of appeal. “This victory means that the thousands of children in Florida who are waiting to be adopted will no longer be needlessly deprived of willing and able parents who can give them the love and support of a family.”
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 31 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 5 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM