GOP Candidate: Gay Marriage Just Like Marrying a Clock
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 27 2010 6:50 PM ET
In a radio interview Rebecca Kleefisch, Republican candidate for Wisconsin lieutenant governor, compared same-sex marriage to a person marrying a clock or a table.
"This is a slippery slope," Kleefisch said. "In addition to that at what point are we going to be OK marrying inanimate objects? Can I marry this table or this, you know, clock? Can we marry dogs?
"This is ridiculous. And biblically, again, I'm going to go right back to my fundamental Christian beliefs marriage is between one man and one woman."
Later, while appearing on a local television program, Kleefisch was asked to expand on her views. There, she said same-sex marriage is also a "fiscal backbreaker."
"The legislative fiscal bureau announced about five days ago that we are actually $265 million further in the hole than we expected to be this year," said Kleefisch. "We just don’t have the money to be giving out for extra benefits right now. It’s a fiscal backbreaker."
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 1 hour 13 min ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM