GOP Candidate: Gay Marriage Just Like Marrying a Clock
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 27 2010 7:50 PM ET
In a radio interview Rebecca Kleefisch, Republican candidate for Wisconsin lieutenant governor, compared same-sex marriage to a person marrying a clock or a table.
"This is a slippery slope," Kleefisch said. "In addition to that at what point are we going to be OK marrying inanimate objects? Can I marry this table or this, you know, clock? Can we marry dogs?
"This is ridiculous. And biblically, again, I'm going to go right back to my fundamental Christian beliefs marriage is between one man and one woman."
Later, while appearing on a local television program, Kleefisch was asked to expand on her views. There, she said same-sex marriage is also a "fiscal backbreaker."
"The legislative fiscal bureau announced about five days ago that we are actually $265 million further in the hole than we expected to be this year," said Kleefisch. "We just don’t have the money to be giving out for extra benefits right now. It’s a fiscal backbreaker."
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM