Elton John on Why He Sang for Rush
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 28 2010 7:20 PM ET
Pop icon Elton John says he sang for conservative talk behemoth Rush Limbaugh's wedding in June to open a dialogue with him.
"When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, 'Well of course you won't be doing it,' But I said, 'Well, let me think about that first,'" John told the London Telegraph. The singer was paid $1 million for his performance.
Though Limbaugh has said there is no proof that AIDS can be transmitted heterosexually and described it as a "hyped" disease, John noted that Limbaugh and President Barack Obama currently share the same stance that marriage should be for heterosexual couples and civil unions are for gay and lesbian couples.
Still, John said he got along well with Limbaugh and his new wife, Kathryn Rogers, and that hopefully, "I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side."
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM