Elton John on Why He Sang for Rush
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 28 2010 6:20 PM ET
Pop icon Elton John says he sang for conservative talk behemoth Rush Limbaugh's wedding in June to open a dialogue with him.
"When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, 'Well of course you won't be doing it,' But I said, 'Well, let me think about that first,'" John told the London Telegraph. The singer was paid $1 million for his performance.
Though Limbaugh has said there is no proof that AIDS can be transmitted heterosexually and described it as a "hyped" disease, John noted that Limbaugh and President Barack Obama currently share the same stance that marriage should be for heterosexual couples and civil unions are for gay and lesbian couples.
Still, John said he got along well with Limbaugh and his new wife, Kathryn Rogers, and that hopefully, "I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side."
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM