GOProud Endorses Mark Kirk for Senate
BY Julie Bolcer
October 29 2010 10:15 AM ET
Gay conservative group GOProud has announced its endorsement of Mark Kirk, the Republican candidate for Senate from Illinois.
Congressman Kirk faces Illinois state treasurer Alexi Giannoulias in the hotly contested race for President Barack Obama’s old seat. In a televised debate this week, Kirk, a Navy reservist, said that he had never met a gay service member during any of his deployments. He voted against the repeal measure in the House earlier this year.
In a statement, GOProud hailed Kirk for his commitment to “common-sense conservative solutions” that include opposition to raising taxes and his leadership against the Obama health care overhaul. GOProud notes that Kirk did vote against the Federal Marriage Amendment.
“Mark Kirk supports common-sense conservative solutions that will improve the lives of all Illinoisans, including gay and lesbian Illinoisans,” said GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia. “From taxes to health care to jobs and the economy, Mark Kirk consistently supports policies that would benefit gay and lesbian voters in Illinois.”
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Members of Congress to Antigay Nations' Diplomats: Leave Your Spouse Home