GOProud Endorses Mark Kirk for Senate
BY Julie Bolcer
October 29 2010 9:15 AM ET
Gay conservative group GOProud has announced its endorsement of Mark Kirk, the Republican candidate for Senate from Illinois.
Congressman Kirk faces Illinois state treasurer Alexi Giannoulias in the hotly contested race for President Barack Obama’s old seat. In a televised debate this week, Kirk, a Navy reservist, said that he had never met a gay service member during any of his deployments. He voted against the repeal measure in the House earlier this year.
In a statement, GOProud hailed Kirk for his commitment to “common-sense conservative solutions” that include opposition to raising taxes and his leadership against the Obama health care overhaul. GOProud notes that Kirk did vote against the Federal Marriage Amendment.
“Mark Kirk supports common-sense conservative solutions that will improve the lives of all Illinoisans, including gay and lesbian Illinoisans,” said GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia. “From taxes to health care to jobs and the economy, Mark Kirk consistently supports policies that would benefit gay and lesbian voters in Illinois.”
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 42 min 27 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 1 hour 58 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 41 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 41 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 12:59 PM