GOProud Endorses Mark Kirk for Senate
BY Julie Bolcer
October 29 2010 10:15 AM ET
Gay conservative group GOProud has announced its endorsement of Mark Kirk, the Republican candidate for Senate from Illinois.
Congressman Kirk faces Illinois state treasurer Alexi Giannoulias in the hotly contested race for President Barack Obama’s old seat. In a televised debate this week, Kirk, a Navy reservist, said that he had never met a gay service member during any of his deployments. He voted against the repeal measure in the House earlier this year.
In a statement, GOProud hailed Kirk for his commitment to “common-sense conservative solutions” that include opposition to raising taxes and his leadership against the Obama health care overhaul. GOProud notes that Kirk did vote against the Federal Marriage Amendment.
“Mark Kirk supports common-sense conservative solutions that will improve the lives of all Illinoisans, including gay and lesbian Illinoisans,” said GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia. “From taxes to health care to jobs and the economy, Mark Kirk consistently supports policies that would benefit gay and lesbian voters in Illinois.”
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future