Berlusconi: Better to Like Girls Than Be Gay
BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2010 9:55 AM ET
Embattled Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi defended his questionable penchant for befriending young women, saying, "It's better to be passionate about beautiful girls than gay."
Berlusconi made the remark in Milan on Tuesday as criticism mounted over reports that he intervened to request the release of a young woman detained by police in May.
According to Dow Jones Newswires, “The case emerged last week when Italian newspapers reported that the young woman, nicknamed ‘Ruby,’ attended parties at Berlusconi's villa earlier this year. Berlusconi had dismissed the reports as "trash," but acknowledged he knew of Ruby and that his office intervened on her behalf after learning she had been arrested.”
Berlusconi, a free-speaking media mogul who leads an increasingly fractious center-right coalition, is trying to fight the possibility of early elections. A popular opposition leader, Puglia governor Nichi Vendola, is gay, Dow Jones reports.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- WATCH: To Rand Paul, Marriage Equality Signals 'Moral Crisis'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People