Cicilline Becomes Fourth Gay Rep
BY Kerry Eleveld
November 02 2010 7:30 PM ET
David Cicilline will become the fourth openly gay member of the House of Representatives, joining Tammy Baldwin, Barney Frank, and Jared Polis in the 112th congressional session.
The 49-year-old mayor of Providence, R.I., survived a last-minute attack on his sexual orientation in the form of a flier reading, “Alert!!! Before you vote for U.S. Congress, you should know that ... John Loughlin is a husband and father and believes in traditional family values. ... Cicilline is an openly gay man who supports same sex marriage."
Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, welcomed the news.
“Mayor Cicilline will be a strong advocate for all Rhode Islanders, but he will also be an authentic voice for the millions of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans who long for the day when we will be treated equally under law,” said Wolfe. “We are enormously proud of him and grateful to Rhode Island voters.”
Cicilline won the Democratic nomination in September after collecting 37% of the vote to edge out two opponents. At the time, political observers assumed that winning the Democratic primary in a true blue state like Rhode Island would make his ascension to Congress a lock. But in recent weeks analysts began to worry that a red wave could potentially overtake even solid Democratic candidates.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 11 min 17 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 13 min 24 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 43 min 13 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 36 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 17 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 hours 23 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2:57 PM