Rep. Patrick Murphy Loses Seat
BY Kerry Eleveld
November 02 2010 9:40 PM ET
LGBT advocates suffered a wrenching loss after Patrick Murphy, a former Army
paratrooper who championed the successful “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal effort in the House, lost his Pennsylvania seat.
Murphy, who rode into office on a Democratic wave in 2006, was summarily ushered back out in Tuesday night’s GOP sweep, restoring Michael Fitzpatrick to the seat he had held before being ousted by Murphy.
LGBT progressives made a last-ditch effort to save Murphy with varied advocates collaborating on a Web-based video that trumpeted support for him and encouraged donations to his campaign.
Murphy was recently asked whether he regretted taking on the fight to repeal DADT. "Absolutely not," he responded.
"I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution as an Army officer and as a congressman," he told The Huffington Post. "I take that oath to heart, and I'm going to fight for the values that are in our Constitution. I'm going to fight to make sure that our military has the best personnel policy that it can, and that means repealing the outdated and the dangerous 'don't ask, don't tell' policy."
Fitzpatrick was endorsed by the Log Cabin Republicans and favored waiting for the Pentagon's study to be released before taking a vote on repeal.
Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, lamented the loss.
"Tonight the House of Representatives and our country lost a bright, capable young leader," Sarvis said. "SLDN will forever remember and be grateful for Patrick's remarkable leadership in the fight to repeal DADT, and I have no doubt Patrick Murphy will be back to serve this nation again."
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM