LGBT Candidates Score Record Wins
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 03 2010 11:15 AM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund reports a record-breaking number of wins for LGBT candidates for public office across the United States in 2010.
According to a statement released Wednesday morning by the Victory Fund, “At least 106 of the group’s record-breaking 164 endorsed candidates were winners as of Wednesday morning, including Providence, R.I., Mayor David Cicilline, who will become the fourth openly gay Member of Congress when the House convenes in January.”
Other victories among many notable wins include the election of Jim Gray as mayor of Lexington, Ky., the state’s second-largest city, and the election of Nickie Antonio to the Ohio house, making her the first openly LGBT person to serve in the state legislature.
Victory Fund president and CEO Chuck Wolfe said in the statement, “There is no sugar-coating the loss of so many of our straight allies in Congress, but we can be proud that our community continues to expand its voice at all levels of government in America, Out public officials are having a sizable impact on the local, state and national debates about LGBT equality. Increasing their numbers is a vital part of a long-term strategy to change America’s politics and make our country freer and fairer for everyone. We will continue to focus on training committed, qualified candidates, and we will work hard to get them elected to public office.”
But while it was a successful night for LGBT Democrats, none of the wins went to Republicans. No openly LGBT Republicans will be serving as state lawmakers next year.
See a more extensive list of Victory Fund winners here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 5 min 45 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM